Wairiri Buffalo farm - Days 15 & 16

Enjoying my breakfast view with Ruby the collie dog.
Thursday 26th Oct
Busy day today, I was cleaning the wee mezzanine level in the Dairy Shed which took up most of the day. Everything in the shed including all the ceilings and machinery need to be up so spec, clean and tidy, and in full working condition for a compliance inspection at the end of November. Most of the jobs I've ben doing around here have been working towards that deadline, and there are a few more things on my to-do list for this deadline too. 



   


After lunch I started mowing the laws (of which there are many) and they didn’t have a groovy sit on machine like Frances does, haha, so it was a good arm and leg workout! Chloe helped me after I picked her up from school and we did that till Christo got home from work, as then she and I went inside to make some pizzas for dinner with whatever ingredients we could find in th fridge - three cheese (Halloumi, mozzarella and ricotta) and smoked salmon pizza and ham pizza ❤️ YUMMY! 

 

  


Chloe and I get in really well, she’s becoming like a wee [holiday] sibling (don’t worry Catriona she’s not replacing you!) which is really nice to have that fun company! She is quite like how my actual sister was at thirteen though: wise beyond her years, highly intelligent and good conversation, and just fun spend time with :) 


Friday 27th Oct 
I intended to have a day off today to go hiking but a combination of the weather being a bit shitty and me just not feeling like hiking today I had a wee hanger of plans. I’ve reached the stage in this trip, and in this particular stay that I don’t feel the need to be on the go all the time in any spare moment! I also think that with such a manual job as farm work it’s good for my body to just have quiet days.

 

I helped Jackie clean the shed this morning, just very quickly, and hen headed into Methven for lunch and a wee walk. I ended up going to th cafe that Manu (my new German pal) works at and I just sat, and ate, chatted and had coffee there until it was time to pick Chloe up from school. 



We then headed back to the farm and got Rascal ready to be collected by her new owner as she was sold earlier this week. The other two horse went silly and raced about the field frantically, calling and stressing and going a bit bonkers for a good few hours. I think they knew pretty quickly that she hadn’t just gone for a hack, and Pixie (the other mare) in particular was sweating buckets with how worried she was. They calmed down after a while but I could hear them calling all night. 

Chloe and I chilled in the hot tub and played chess after dinner which was fun too :)

  
playing chess in the hot-tub; living the life!

My trusty companion! Ruby Ruby Rubyyyy :)

Comments

Popular Posts