Whistle stop visit of Taunranga

I had an early start from Coromandel, Marijke took me to Thames where I caught my bus to Tauranga. It was only a couple of hours journey and so I arrived by 11:30am and was checked into my hostel by 12. 

There was an issue with the first hostel, the first issue I've had on this trip, the hostel was overbooked and so they had no rooms left. Luckily it's a small town so th lady at the desk called another hostel and made sure they kept a dorm bed for me. But as I said it's a small town so was key a short walk away and I was checked in and out exploring before lunch time. I had a good wander round the main streets and popped into dorm souvenir shops...got a couple of postcards and found myself a nice wee cafe to eat lunch in. 



After lunch I headed to the Tauranga Art Gallery. The main exhibition they were showing was a weird photographic exhibition by Rodger Ballen - Theater of the Mind. Denitsa abs Erin, you'd have loved it I think! He did the 'I Fink Ur Freeky' music video for Di-Antwood. It's a very freely and bizarre exhibition and I kinda loved it! 

  


The gallery itself was also a cool space to be in. 

But other than this light instillation exhibition there wasn't anything really of interest. 

I carried on wandering around town and found this delightful wee street art statue cluster - The famous childhood storybook character Hairy Maclairey and Friends!

 

I then went back to the hostel, had a wee nap and watched an episode im that I'd downloaded from Netflix. When it was nearly dinner time another couple of ladies arrived seperately into the dorm. When I mentioned that I wanted dinner Emi, a lovely girl from Belgium, showed interest in joining me and so the two of us went out and found a nice (but not to expensive) place to eat! 

 

The place made Asian fusion cuisine and had delicious New Zealand beer. We chatted for a good couple of hours about traveling and work and our families, general chat. We also had the most adorable waiter who was great chat, he gave great recommendations and was hilarious (although I'm not sure he always meant to be! Haha) anyway it was a lovely evening and I hope our paths cross again.

I had a really restless sleep, but work up quite refreshed regardless and after a quick breakfast on the balcony I jumped on a bus again this time to Rotorua. (I'll create a separate post for Rotorua as I took lots of pictures!)

 


Ps. Look at this cute wee kiwi eating utensil - spoon/knife? It came in the box of Kiwis I bought today! Gahaha cool!! 

Comments

Popular Posts