Coromandel - Days 8 & 9



(18th sept)
As Marijke was away last night and wouldn't be back till this afternoon I was home alone for the for the first time since coming to NZ. It was a bit odd, especially being in someone else's house, making dinner with their food, but Marijkes flat is very comfortable and it was easy to feel at home. I made myself chicken fajitas, put on a fire and watched a shitty rom-com that I downloaded from Netflix. 

Since the cafe is closed on Mondays it's the day to do things that can't be done when there are are customers. Today, with the torrential downpours of hail and rain, it was a day washing the cafe ceilings. Not the best job but one that needed to be done! 

  

It was a satisfying but tiring job, and my arms hurt from holding them above my head for 4 hours! 

Late afternoon Marijke arrived back with a friend, Bernie and her son Van (2 year old, and very cute!) We had some dinner and played/chatted for a bit, then had a very early night (8pm!!) but it was well deserved since we all had a long day!

(19th sept)
With Bernie and Van visiting, and Marijke with day off, it was a good excuse for a wee road trip. We left Coromandel town after having lunch at the cafe and took the 309 Road towards Whitianga. The 309 isn't the main road over to the other side of the peninsula but it is a short cut of sorts and takes us through the mountains, by a rough gravel road, over to Whitianga (pronounced Fitee-yanga). 

First stop pigs! There is man who lives on that road that has a whooooole bunch of pigs, they roam wild just running loose along the side of the road next to his cabin. Pics coming once I connect my camera to a computer. 

Next stop was a walk through the local Kauri reserve! And I officially became a Coromandel Tree Hugger! 

Here is me hugging one of the biggest Kauri trees in this reserve, but the biggest ever was another 12ft in diameter(apparently) !! WOW! I'm not sure if I've mentioned this in my blog before, sorry if I have, Kauri trees are endangered here in NZ. These beautiful trees are native only to the north island of New Zealand, and possibly some parts of Austriaila (I think). They have a massive and really hard wood trunk, which was perfect for boat building and houses and furniture (till it became protected) The species is under threat from a horrible disease which spreads from tree to tree, often carried by people and animals. There is now a strict programme in action in these reserves where everyone most clean their feet (and wheels if on bikes) before entering and upon exiting the reserve. 

More into on Kauri trees here if you're interested.  I've found it very interesting finding out more about them. 

 

We then drove on over to the other side of the peninsula to the town of Whitianga. Below is a panorama that I took at the beach there!! 😍

This was another viewpoint looking out over native bush along the road home.

And this view looks out over Coromandel town and the offshore islands (in the gulf) before we started out descent again.

I made everyone dinner in the evening (a vege pasta and fresh pasta {bought not made}) and Bernie taught me how to make a flower from flax leaves. 

Māori word for flower is Putiputi. 

 
Bernies leaf flower ---- then mine πŸ˜…


We had golden Kiwis for dessert and just sat in the sun as it set. (and I tried to think of a good Kiwi pun but couldn't ... my sister and/or best mates are better at that sort of thing!! Any suggestions guys?!) Anyway it was a lovely day and a lovely evening with ace people :) 

 







Comments

Popular Posts