Rotorua -day 2


(Wednesday 27th Sept)
I woke up today feeling determined to make the most of my day in Rotorua! I had time yesterday afternoon/evening to plan a couple of cultural excursions, that were both value for money and within my budget! 

First stop was Whakarewarewa Thermal Village - The living Maori village. It was about a 35 minute walk from my hostel. It was  $36 entry with my 10% discount from the hostel. This gave me enterance to the Māori village, a guided tour round cordoned off bits, and a cultural show. It also allowed me to access some bush walks, all of which I took advantage of! 
   
 
 

The village is still inhabited by the local Iwi (tribe) and locals still use the geothermal activity in their everyday lives. They use it for cooking (in their steam boxes [pics coming soon]); for bathing (locals can bathe in outdoor pools that are filled with water from the hot water springs. They can do this first thing in the morning or after 6pm when the gates close to the public); The local Māori would have traditionally used the mud pools for berials but Christianity changed that, but burying 6ft down wasn't an option either as the file just filled with steam and water and the geothermal pressure would eventually work the coffin up over time. Now they bury their dead in tombs. ; the springs are even used for washing their clothes and cooking their veges...often recycling the same water. 

I walked around th village for a bit until the cultural show was due to start (I actually enjoyed the one in Paihia better) and the guided walk started immediately after that. Our guide Michael and the two boys he had training with him were all locals to the village and the whole morning was very informative and I could have spent all day there! 

I had some fruit for lunch and headed to treat myself at the The Polynesian Spa. Just wow! I know I've been missing out but. dammmnn! " Just look at the colour if those pools!! 

There were seven baths to choose from all at slightly different temperatures...ranging from 38 degrees celcius up to almost 42 degrees celcius. Hehehe my legs went a bit Lobster like after sitting in the hottest one a while too long!  I spent a total of 3 hours there , and totally got my $26 entry fee!! 


     

I walked back to town round Sulphur Point nature reserve. Not many people and th road wasn't very good but interesting views out into Lake Rotorua. 

  

I then chilled at the hostel till it was time for me to catch the overnight bus to Wellington. Oh man. I made dinner, drank tea... and was we glad when 10pm rolled around! 



Comments

Popular Posts