Paihia - days 2 & 3.

 A bit of a quieter day today, I wasn't feeling too well first thing in the morning but had my coffee and cereal and headed straight out to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds. With only one more full day here there was no point in wasting time in bed, even though that's what I fancied doing haha! I'm very glad that I made the effort too because I had a wonderful experience!

I spent a good four or five hours out at Waitangi, and although it was $40 to get in, that allowed me to stay in all day if I wanted to, gave me access to a fantastic and informative guided tour, and access to a beautiful (of not slightly too short, but I understand why) cultural performance of Māori culture, customs and songs. The ticket also gave me access to a brilliant museum, and  to a film that plays on loop showing a reenactment of sorts of the events surrounding the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi. I've learnt so much today and I hope some of it stays in my wee head because it was all so interesting!!

 


Some highlights were: the poi performances and war dances, and a beautiful Māori love song. I had a tear in my eye and had goosebumps from their expressive storytelling and expressions when singing!

     

The biggest warship...more a show piece than an actually battle ship. 


Info on the explorers Tasman and Cook. The more I hear about thu pair, seoerate as they are, the more intregued I am.
 

 

I walked back along the beach (feeling a bit crappy again, not sure if I'm just knackered from yesterday or not eaten enough?) and luckily the sun had come out! It POURED rain this morning as I left the hostel, huge crashes of thunder! Anyway it dried up and was actually almost warm so I stopped for a wee rest mid way, found a bench and took my sketchbook out for the first time since I got here!! I've been full of good intentions for sketching and journaling and it's only the blog I've kept up with so far! Mind you it's still only week 2! 




I was quite chilled (not in the nice way) when I got back to the hostel so I sat by the fire reading my book, and I may have had a quick 40-winks, before dinner. I've started reading a book my dad recommended called Songlines .  I'm LOVING it so far, and although it's based in Australia it's fueling my wanderlust for traveling regardless! Highly recommended if you like books on culture and travel written in  quite a relaxed and easy to read style. 


Last night in Paihia so treated myself (not that I've been holding back!) to a rack of pork ribs and a local beer! 🍻 yummy!! 

 

Comments

Popular Posts