Haast to Lake Hawea

Sunday

I’m really enjoying these days of just making my plans up as I go along. Having the tent gives great flexibility, even if the sandflies make me question my sanity at times!! They wee pretty bad when I got up this morning again and so I went for a walk while I had my cereal. The views around the Pleasant Flat campsite were pretty phenomenal!



My first stop after getting back into the car was to Thunder Creek Falls, a short 30 minute walk return but I arrived at the same time as a bus load of tourists. So I’ve learnt that the easy to access views/walks are almost always busy and not even always very worth it! Take for example the second stop, the famous Blue Pools. Stunning, but very busy, and when Everyone stayed at the first pools, I continued along the track for another 30 mins and enjoyed a peaceful walk and some stunning views, completely alone! Very pleasant! 

 
Blue Pools

I kept driving till lunchtime and I reached Lake Hawea. It was so hot so I stopped at a cafe and enjoyed a hot meal and an iced coffee in their air-conditioned cafe. I was so relaxed there that I decided to check if there was a hostel in the town and when there was I just rocked up and booked a room. After two nights camping I was really looking forward to a bed and a hot shower! 

Lake Hawea from the road 


The hostel was lovely and although the showers were a bit shit I really was just glad or was hot and clean. 

I Met Katherina in the kitchen while cooking our dinner. She asked if I wanted to go see a movie with herself and a few girls she met at the previous hostel at the Wanaka cinema. The Cibema Paradiso was GREAT, we watched Thor Ragnarok and that was great on its own, but the cinema itself was great too. It was all old sofas and chairs and old cars, and there was an interval half way through where they served freshly backed giant cookies and I also got a white wine. Such bliss! TOTALLY my kind of place! 

  

After the cinema it was already dark so we went to go stargazing at the shore, a truely lovely evening!


Comments

Popular Posts