Back on the road - part 2 - Auckland, Tauranga & Coromandel.



Being back in Auckland for a few days was weird...Ive mentioned before that I'm not a big city girl, and the hostel too was big and commercial and anonymous and just not very nice. I also had a room with no windows or personal bed side lights which made the dorm rather uncomfortable. But that's ok cause I just tried to spend all my time outside, on the first day I went out and found a free city walking tour. I'd done loads of these in European cities but none since coming out to NZ.  We even got a few hours of sunshine for our walk thought city and its gardens, learning various bits and pieces about Aucklands history as well as a more general history of New Zealand as a country.  I met a couple of love girls on the walk too and we went for dinner and a pint after the walk where I shared some knowledge at the end of my trip to them as the beginning of theirs. 



The following day I met up with one of the girls again, Rhona, who happened to be from Glasgow. Surprisingly we didn't have any mutual friends but that didn't stop us becoming pals. We went to the Museum of Auckland as it was pouring rain again, and we spent the whole day there looking at the various exhibitions. 




After that lovely day we went our separate ways, myself to Tauranga and Rhona headed to Waihiki island. I wish her all the best in her fee months away. 

Late morning I got the bus to Tauranga, a place I'd visited briefly the first time round and really liked the vibe of and wanted to visit again. I also wanted to get out of Auckland and couldn't wait till i went to the Coromandel on Wednesday. 


It was raining in Tauranga. Surprise, surprise. But that didn't stop me and I wanted to get out and do things, especial after sitting on a bus for five hours. The hostel was much much nicer thigh so that was a big plus! The following day I set off early and walked towards Mt Maunganui. 




Thankfully the sun came out as I started climbing the mount itself, and woewee was the view from the top with it.... Maybe partially because I'd been sitting on my butt all week in the car and not seen anything because of the rain clouds... But hey this view is still pretty cool eh?!

 




On Wednesday I hopped on a bus and headed to the Coromandel. Yay, I was heading back to my happy place, which I've decided feels more like the south island than anywhere else :) A very similar vibe to Wanaka even which I've really missed. I was also staying with Marijke who I WWOOFed for last August and it was so so nice to see her again. She also has her daughter staying with her right now, Astraea, whom I also get on with really well. 


  

That first afternoon the sun came out and insat in the Driving Creek Cafe like old times and ate delicious food, and had cake and tea, and just chilled and read my book

The evening was also well spent just catching up with Marijke and getting to know Astraea, we had a lovely Misu soup for dinner and just relaxed by the fire till bedtime. 


 The following couple of days were also very chilled out, spent between Marijkes house and the cafe. I helped with some menu design work and took some photos of Astraea for her professional work. 


I discovered Fejoas and theyre delicious!

 


I also discovered the community meditation pyramid!! Yes and it IS that cool!! 

Marijkes house is also pretty awesome, and I want one. (Pics to cone bit they're on my camera) :) 


My time in Coromandel has totally rebalanced my energy, I've relaxed and grounded myself again and am totally ready for hesding to the states next week! 

I had a lovely goodbye breakfast courtesy of The Driving Creek Cafe (aka Marijke) with her daughter Astraea whom I hope has also become a friend in this short time together. 


Thank you, Coromandel, see you soon!! 

Comments

Popular Posts