Clevedon - Day 3

that rain though!!

Wow, I've had another very full on day here on the farm! Up again at 7 to help Kate with the horses and mucking out etc. through a VERY wet and muggy morning! I mean it POURED from as soon as I put my washing out, all morning till just before the students arrived at 3!


Kate hosing in the rain....a thankless task.


The vet came along about 11 to check on two of the other mares who aren't in foal yet to see where in their cycle they are (to be inseminated soon). This was a very cool process as she (put very basically) used an ultrasound to check the shape of her ovaries, she did this by putting her hand up inside her and scanning from the inside.

  



I then put my photographic skill to use by photographing the contents of a hamper for Sheena, that will be won by whomever has the first foal from Fugato this season!






Then we had to prepare the yard and the horses for a visiting group of equestrian college students from Australia. All horses were brought into the boxes and pens around the yard and they were all groomed and polished and preened to be beautiful and ready to be shown off. After a quick stop for lunch, and a quick but thorough tidy up of the yard and the sheds, we were ready for their arrival.



Sheena gave them all a short lecture on her experience as a breeder, then Kate showed them some of the horses, from varies stags in the process, starting of course with prize Stallion Fugato. The Two mares that will be inseminated soon, the two mares that are currently in foal, and then two of last years babies (from a different stallion). I found it very interesting listening to what Sheena and Kate were saying, even though I didn't understand it all, as it gave me a new insight into the horse breeding industry.

 



They then demonstrated the seamen collection process (minus the part with the actual horse, as that is probably too dangerous to do with so many people about...) so basically all the preparation, and explaining what you do with it after collection. Again, although it was explained briefly yesterday it was interesting!

After they left we tidied up, again, and put all the horses to bed for the night, or back out to the paddock if that's where they should be.

I then had a lovely dinner again with Pippa and Allan: 



I have a day off tomorrow, thankfully, after my hike and three quite full days I'm a bit achy and looking forward to a lie in and a slow day!

Comments

Popular Posts