Wanaka - Tuatapere - Curio Bay

Monday 27
I had intended to leave Wanaka about mid morning but ended up doingn a load of washing so I had to wait for it to dry. This also gave my gadgets time to charge up and also gave me time to call some folk and catch up. I Got on the road about 1 and after a quick drop in at the cinema to leave my details I headed down the road towards Queenstown, and then turned off towards in the direction of Te Anau. 

The drive took me most of the afternoon and although I had regular stops along the way to stretch my legs I was pretty pooped when I got to the campsite in Tuatapere that Marijke had recommended for me. I couldn’t be bothered making my dinner on the wee camping stove so I ate at the Last Light Lodge who also ran the campsite. I had a delicious Venison Casserole Pie with mash, and then out of pure gluttony I had a home made chai latte and an Afghan cookie to take back to my tent 



I took a wee walk but after my meal I was even more tired and decided just to go to my tent and read, and I also watched another episode of Dr Who since this was a fancy campsite that offered pretty decent WiFi! 

After getting some space from Wanaka I really honk that I’d like to spend some proper time living and working there! As much as I love the Canterbury area, and my WWOOFing work, I kinda need some cash now and Wanaka has been the best balance of city and country that I’ve experienced in the South Island so far! I did consider going and working up north in the Coromandel but I feel that I’ve now got quite a nice wee network of folk that I know, both other travellers and locals, in various parts of the South Island, and all within driving distances from each other. Plans may yet change but I think as Ross and a few others have said, I’m being sucked into the Wanaka Bubble, but for now I’m ok with that! Haha 


Tuesday 
I hit the road quite early and filled up another tank of petrol, and headed south east from  Tuatapere, where I was staying last night, in the direction of towards Invercargil.

There were some lovely beaches and scenic viewpoints along the road, but I kinda just wanted to get to the campsite I had in mind and set up camp. 


 



Invercargil itself was bigger then I remembered it being but the town itself was not very interesting and other than stopping to top up on fruit and veg at a cheap supermarket PAC and Save I was soon on the go again heading along the coast.

 I hadn’t realised how much I’d missed the sea until I saw it again! Ross had recommend a campsite that was out in a wee peninsula called Curio Bay, and oh BOY it did not disaapoint! The whole site was huge but relatively private with masses of flax shrubs creating hedges of privacy. There was a big newly built block of amenities with hot showers, a kitchen, loos and a laundry. They offered surf lessons, which if I hadn’t been so tired I might have done, and the campsite had views looking out both sides of the peninsula; one looking out onto Curio Bay, and another looking out over cliffs down the coast. Just spectacular, and for only $15 which is like £7! 

 



I’ve also decided that I need to start camping and exploring this way when I get back to Scotland! So many opportunity on my doorstep that I don’t appreciate or visit often enough! I’d like to spend some real time exploring my own country, and then England, Ireland and Wales! It’s funny how you sometimes need to come half way across the world to notice how little you appreciate you own home! And I’ve had this conversation quite a lot on this trip so far so I know that I’m not alone! :) 

Comments

Popular Posts